An intriguing riverside church that merits more respect than it gets, St Magnus the Martyr is principally known for one thing - and that is the part of medieval London Bridge that is housed in its yard. Charles Dickens called the congregation one of the 'monster corrections officers of the old scaffold' as it remained at the northern end, its southern partner being the congregation of St Savior and St Mary Overie, which in 1905 was renewed as Southwark Cathedral (see section 4). Far littler than the surviving part of the old extension, in any case, yet seemingly significantly all the more valuable, is a piece of wood that was conveyed to the congregation in the wake of being uncovered by laborers who thought that it was close-by in the 1930s. Mounted on a low remain in the patio, the piece of wood is unmistakably named - FROM ROMAN WHARF. Advertisement 75: FOUND FISH STREET HILL 1931 - yet is by and by frequently missed by guests coming to view Sir Christopher Wren's inside. The First Century Warf is one of the most amazing spots to visit in London, I’d even recommend it as a must-see in this tremendous City.
The presence of such wharfs had for quite some time been thought about and in the 1970s the Museum of London led a point by point look along this stretch of the stream. Among the disclosures were a second-century waterway divider, a third-century quayside depicted as being of "eager" configuration, and various little finds of the sort that demonstrate fundamental with regards to amplifying our insight into residential and business life in Roman London. Underneath the asphalt on the southern side of the road were discovered hints of a timber bank divider, confirmation of an early land recovery conspire that would have pushed Roman London out past the line of the old wharf specified on the St Magnus plaque. At the end of the day, from a building viewpoint the work is profoundly amazing, with a few levels of huge oak shafts bolstered by heaps and supporting, and there is proof of numerous huge amounts of earth and rubble being utilized as infill.
For all the quality and refinement, in any case, the same confirmation focuses to the new wharf being brief. Truth be told, with nothing to recommend it was still being used after AD 260, its working life may have been as meager as a quarter century. The purposes behind this are not completely saw, but rather the waterway level may have dropped making channels sediment up, and absolutely Saxon privateers are known not been upsetting transportation courses to the landmass at this point. Political and monetary changes inside the Roman Empire were likewise starting to influence London's exchanging accomplices in northern Europe, and inside 10 years of the wharf's finish such a broad development may have been viewed as surplus to prerequisites. Absolutely nothing else on this scale was to be developed here for at any rate the following eight hundred years.